BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Local Idiots

Sorry guys, this is a bitchy rant about local traffic, 40mph four lane highways, and a couple pushing a stroller.

I was driving The Boys dad home after running him on an errand*, and he lives on the south side of a very busy street in town. I was pulled up in front of his place, K had just jumped** out of my 4runner. I was staring intently into my mirrors, looking for a large enough gap to floor-it into traffic, when I saw "It". "It" being a woman, a man***, and a stroller with what looked like to be a 2-3 year old boy in it.

If I could get the "print screen" button on my laptop, I would show you a picture, but just imagine 5 lanes. Two eastbound, two westbound, with a center turning lane. You all with me? Now, imagine the posted speed limit is 40mph, but everyone does at least 5-10mph over that. Traffic in our imaginations is now cruising at 45-50 mph. Anyone want to be a pedestrian crossing this street? Cuz I freaking hate getting across it in my car. Cops are regularly patrolling this road, because there is an elementary school just a block away from the intersection I'm talking about. A little up the road is the university. A lot of foot traffic, with a hell of a lot more vehicular traffic.

But, I digress.

So, I see this family on the north side, crossing to the south. Half a block east are three cars, a block west is about ten cars. A lot of traffic. Someone insane could make that gap in a car, on a bike, or seriously flat out running. Not walking. Definitely not walking with a stroller, with a kid in it. Yet, these people stepped into traffic^. The cars approaching from the east slam on their breaks, which isn't too bad, considering there were only three cars coming from that direction. But coming from the west, cars start slamming on their breaks, and I was just waiting for a) someone to get hit b) a 4-car-pile-up c) anything. I was kind of disappointed when all the traffic was able to come to a complete stop (in the middle of the intersection...) and let these idiots cross the road.

I couldn't believe it. Then again, this is a high traffic area where within the last couple of years one guy was killed^^, and a lady was put into the ICU because of careless drivers (and pedestrians) on this busy highway.

*Sigh* I feel better now having vented. Sorry guys, but it is really just astounding how dumb some people are.

-------------------

*mumble, grumble, bitch, moan. I could go on, but it's better for my blood pressure if I don't. It doesn't help that I'm listening to "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce. That song really jacks the bp up...

**I use the word "jumping" loosely here...

*** Husband, lover, not-so-sugar-daddy, brother, white trash neighbor, who knows.

^Granted, it was a cross-walk, but the traffic was ridiculous! (Oh, Seb, this is my attempt at using other footnote markers... haha)

^^ The guy was crossing the street on his way to the university. I passed the scene on my way to class that morning. It was awful, and made me more aware of how scary this street is.

1 comments:

Carlito86 said...

Yeah but it's scarier that these people have kids and they're gonna raise them stupidly! It makes me sad!

xx