In following Tabatha's totally awkward boy story (read it, you'll be mortified for her!) I have one about the end of high school as well. (VISIT Tova Darling, who hosts the awkwardness!)
I had just graduated high school, turned 18, packed up my entire life in two suitcases and a bunch of boxes (which went into storage). I was moving. Across the world. To Germany. A scholarship program that both an older sister and brother went on, and it was now my turn to go.
I had finally finished sorting, packing, blah blah blah, and decided to end my time in the grand 'ol US by throwing myself a good-bye party. I sent out a bazillion emails, texts, and even called a few people too*.
A few friends showed up, and we were having a good time in the backyard at my Mom's place. Then a boy I had really really really kind of liked a few years previous showed up. Let's call him Bobby.
Bobby and I had worked together at Scout Camp** having a lot of good times, and making a lot of promises to hang out after the summer ended. We went to different high schools, but we were a twenty minute drive from each others houses. He had promised he would take me to the first dance of the year, re-nigged (saying he had promised 4-5 other girls, and could obviously only take one...), and I gave up talking to him after that. I was embarrassed, and frustrated, and gave up.
Well, Bobby some how caught wind of my little shin-dig, and showed up. Red rose in hand. He pulls me to the side, and apologizes for being the giant douche that he was, and how he had always regretted not taking me to the dance and blah blah blah and how he had "always had a thing for me" blah blah blah.
Anydouche, I felt the red creeping (why does it creep?!) up my neck, and my other friends*** all staring at what was going on. They couldn't hear (thank you baby jeebus!) anything, but saw me starting to turn bright bright bright RED.
I gave Bobby a hug (I'm a freak), thanked him for showing up to my party, and I continued on like nothing had happened. Thank the baby jeebus that no one heard what was going on... because it could have been so much worse!
*Which I did without incident, because it wasn't until I actually lived in Germany that any phone and I began to loathe each other...
**Awkward unto itself...
*** Not to mention the guy I was actually dating at the time!

2 comments:
lol. i can't believe he had the nerve to show up at your party! what a loser! :)
I like how you wrote Germany in the colors of the German flag. You should have called him a douche and asked him to leave with his flower.
Post a Comment