The weather here has kind of sucked lately, and the cold, rainy, drizzly, foggy, blizzard, and dampness here keeps reminding me how much I loved Christmas in Germany.
I was 18, had finally found my niche with friends, and was comfortable with my host family. The weather had turned colder, and it rained more than it didn't. I was a little bit homesick, and it got worse as Christmas got closer and closer. My host family, my friends, the school I attended, and everyone it seemed like, was caught up in the "Christmas Spirit." And it was contagious. There was so much new stuff to see, and experience, that it helped me break out of my shell, and start to forget out missing my family in the States.
After the first few days of December, I started seeing little huts pop up in the downtown market area, and around the small church* nearby. More and more huts appeared, and it eventually looked like a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market). I came to absolutely love Christmas markets, and the whole atmosphere.
I was starting to enjoy spending time downtown, wandering through the streets, looking at the decorations, and hanging out with friends at the Markt. I remember going with a friend from school, Patrik, who was shopping for his girlfriend, and I for my host mom. We had so much fun looking at everything, and shopping, and talking.
Spending time in the cold weather, always reminds me of Germany. It flings me into my memories, and I can feel the cold on my cheeks, smell the Glühwein, and feel the people around me. I get all nostalgic, and can't help but start to get excited for the season!
*Think of a grand cathedral, but on a really small scale. :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment